New Sports Illustrated Book, At The Fights, Opens Eyes To World Of Boxing Like No Other
It is one thing to have one career as a world-renowned specialist, but it is quite rare to become world-renowned in a second career, in a totally different field. One of my clients did just that - -and to stunning results.
For 23 years Howard Schatz was an internationally respected retina specialist, researcher, medical textbook writer, and Clinical Professor at the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco. In 1995 he left San Francisco for New York to pursue a career in photography. And what a career it has been. He is releasing his 19thbook, AT THE FIGHTS (si.com/atthefights) in a week, and it has already been featured in Sports Illustrated and Time. This Sunday, November 11, his work will be featured on the cover of the NYT Sunday Magazine as well as to illustrate the cover story.
Since he left medicine he has become recognized as one of the most accomplished, prolific, and award-winning photographers of the past 17 years. His photographs have appeared in countless publications. Vanity Fair ,ESPN Magazine and others have published his work regularly. He has done covers forNewsweek, Sports Illustrated, New York Magazine, Time, and US News & World Report.. His work has also appeared in GQ, Vogue, Harpers Bazaar, Forbes, Elle, and “O” The Oprah Magazine. He has photographed many prominent individuals, including: Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush, Jane Lynch, Michael Douglas, Pierce Brosnan, Ricky Gervais, Sissy Spacek, Robin Williams, Pele, David Beckham, Albert Pujols, Ichiro Suzuki, Muhammed Ali, Alonzo Mourning, Serena Williams, George Steinbrenner, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Condoleezza Rice, and Mikhail Baryshnikov. His commercial clients include Adidas, Ralph Lauren, Nike, SONY, Mercedes-Benz, Escada, Virgin Records, and McDonalds among dozens of others.
His newest book features the people important to boxing today, depicting the culture of the sport and its business, including over 70 champion boxers -- current, recent and legendary. This evocative book is a visual triumph that features:
- The insightful words and stunning images of modern-day gladiators, in the ring and in Schatz’s studio, including Manny Pacquiao, Andre Ward, Sergio Martinez, Bernard Hopkins, Tim Bradley and Vladimir Klitschko.
- Unique portraits of the most respected and well-known trainers, judges, referees, promoters and managers, physicians, commissioners/presidents, writers and blow-by-blow ringside commentators.
- Insightful commentary from 50+ boxing experts, culled from interviews totaling 500,000 words.
- Unique studio portraits of Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Mike Tyson.
- Portraits and interviews with recently deceased legendary ring writer Bert Sugar and legendary champion Smokin’ Joe Frazier.
- Dynamic ringside action shots from recent championship bouts.
- 400 unique photographs that were culled from over 150,000 images.
- The unique body art of many of the fighters and the messages scripted on their skin.
- A stroboscopic shot that captures the speed and incredible footwork of middleweight Sergio Martinez in a single frame.
- A 7-foot long gatefold featuring scores of modern-day champions.
For more information, please consult www.Howard.Schatz.com